CASA BALIUAG 1
The Baliuag house was originally located at the corner of Poblacion and Burgos Sts. in Baliuag Bulacan, just across the Baliuag Church. It once served as the municipal hall of Baliuag in the 1950’s.
The house originally had elaborate adobe carvings at the façade. While the intricate wood carvings at its bandejas (wood sidings) define its highly floral motif. However, in time, the house became abandoned and some of its architectural details were lost and stolen.
Built in 1867, the mansion, filled with ionic capitals from the colonnaded sidewalk, to the columns found in the balcony front, was designed by the first Filipino to practice architecture in the Philippines during the Spanish era, Felix Roxas y Arroyo, for the family of Rafael Enriquez
Originally located at the corner of Calle San Sebastian (now R. Hidalgo St.) and Callejon de Carcer in Quiapo District, Manila, the house was considered the most elegant in the entire country during the Spanish regime, as narrated and described by American historian A.M. Norton sometime 1908 and 1909. The mansion was then used as the first campus of the University of the Philippines School of Fine Arts with Enriquez as its first director from 1909 to 1926, before his death in 1927. It was also the first school of Architecture in the Philippines.
Young artists in the 1870’s used to train in the entrezuelo (mezzanine) of the house, notable among them were JUAN LUNA and FELIX HIDALGO. Later, outstanding artists who were products of the school included FERNANDO AMORSOLO, GUILLERMO TOLENTINO , EMILIO ALVERO, CARLOS FRANCISCO and TOMAS MAPUA.
In 1927, after the operations of the school was transferred to Padre Faura St. , the house underwent various repairs and was used for other purposes such as bowling alley, boys and girls dormitory, sex live shows and a lot more. As a result of the poor maintenance of the structure, the house slowly went into decay.
The mansion was originally owned by the Reyes family, one of the most prominent families in Pampanga during the 1780’s and was used as the residence of the Spanish Gobernador Heneral when visiting Pampanga.
The mansion was sturdy yet simple and devoid of external details. However, the interior was neo-Gothic in influence, from the arches, brackets and column details.
In 1961, National Artist for film JERRY DE LEON used the mansion as one of the settings for his immortal epic “Noli Me Tangere” an adaptation of the novel of our national hero, Dr. Jose Rizal, wherein the mansion served as the residence of Kapitan Tyago and Maria Clara.
The last known owner of the house was Estanislao Reyes in 1941.
The materials used in the reconstruction of the Mexico house came from the salvaged materials bought from the junkshop.
The house was built based on an old photograph which the owner used in reconstructing the house.
( No historical data available)
PASEO DE ESCOLTA
The strip of supposedly commercial structures are replicas of the typical Escolta buildings in Manila during the early 1900’s. Buildings during said era had stores and shops on the ground floor and hotels on the 2nd and 3rd floors which then catered to transients and tourists.
The structures were built based on old photographs found in magazine. A combination of old and new materials were used in the construction of the houses. The rooms and interiors were designed by the wife of the owner, Mrs. Tess Acuzar, being an interior designer herself.
The Casa Escolta which has 17 rooms, all with individual toilets and baths, serves as the hotel for the resort.
Construction of the structures started in 2007.
There presently stands four (4) houses along the shoreline of the property, which were originally from Cagayan province. During the early 1900’s, theses houses were referred to as the Poor Man’s Houses
The typical house was built on stilts with the three trunks in its natural shape used as a posts/ columns, in order to give its residents extra space for relaxation, storage and livelihood activities.
CASA BALIUAG 2
The house was originally located within the compound of the Iglesia ni Kristo in Baliuag, Bulacan. The structure has a function hall used by Iglesia ni Kristo members.
The mansion, built in circa 1850, was originally owned by the prominent Norvicio family of Namacpacan, La Union.
Namacpacan, a town in La Union, was renamed LUNA in 1906 by the Philippine Commission Act 1543 in honor of the famous LUNA brothers: Antonio, the general and Juan, the painter, whose mother LAUREANA NOVICIO was a native of said town.
It was the Mayor Primitivo Novicio, owner of the house and a relative of Laureana, who pass the resolution renaming Namacpacan to LUNA during the incumbency of Governor Joaquin Luna. The house served as a rendezvous for important gatherings and meetings during the liberation period which occurred in the latter part of the Japanese occupation in 1942. It also became the headquarters of United States Armed Forces in the Philippines, Northern Luzon (USAF-NL) where they planned the operations for the capture of General Yamashita. It was also in this town, at Camp Spencer Darigayos, where General Yamashita was held prisoner before he was executed in Los Banos Laguna.
Later, the house acquired by the Santoromano Family . It was located in front of the plaza across the parish of St. Catherine Alexandria and the convent and the casa municipal. As all towns administered by the Spanish colonial government, the elite families established their homes in the town center.
Thick walls of red clay bricks and lime mortar enclose the ground floor and support the upper level. The thick wall terminates in a dominant row of horizontal mouldings which create shadows that visibly delineate the second floor. The main entrance to the house is subtly recessed opening flanked by fluted pilasters topped with an equally simple capital supporting an unobstructive arch. The two wood plank doors are equally embellished with understated décor along Moorish lines. The windows on either side of the main door and on the side walls are enhanced by linear mouldings and vertical wooden bars.
The main stairway from the ground floor starts with tiled four-steps escalones with a massive handrail of lime mortar designed as a huge volute. From the meseta, about half a meter above ground level, the staircase to the second floor is constructed of wood treads and wood barandillas supporting the handrails.
The immense symmetrical house was constructed on a square plan. The ground floor was used as a cochera for carriages and bodega for garlic, onions, and tobacco which were harvested at different times of the year. There is an entresuelo for servants. The second floor, where the bedrooms are distributed around the ground living room, is shielded by the volada on the entire length of the façade. On the rear portion of the second floor is a grand dining roonm serviced by an equally large kitchen area with an azotea. Toilet and bath are located adjacent to the azotea. The well that supplies the water is below the azotea, in the rear yard.
The whole upper floor is wrapped with the horizontal row of sliding capiz window panels, the openings punctuated by slender colonettes. Below the window openings are the ventanillas with wooden barandillas. The transom is covered by solid wood panels. The solid narra doors and jambs of the house interior are finely crafted art-noveau-inspired wood carvings of Philippine foliage. The floors of the sala and curators are of wide narra planks; the comedor of narrow planks of tanguile laid with half-inch gap.
The lines of the house are decisive and contrived, creating an elegantly proportioned piece of architecture. Locations and details of openings are in harmony with the total design concept of the building. The house is a three-dimensional experience of fine proportions and understated elegance. The intricately carved wooden doors have notably low openings.
CASA JAEN 1
This served as the residence of the first Mayor of Jaen.
Built in 1839, the Maxino house claims the prestige of being the first bahay na bato to be built in Unisan, Quezon. Antonio Maxino built the house in 1839.
The house is composed of two main structures of almost equal size. The sala and quartos are in the larger structure; the comedor, kitchen, and the azoteo in the smaller structure. The main staircase terminates in the caida on the second floor which fuses the two structures. From the caida , one can go either to the sala or the comedor. The comedor has narrow wood planks laid with spaces in between.
Simple sunburst carvings are on the two-paneled narra main door that secures the living and sleeping areas. There are two trap doors on the floor of the sala. This part of the house has hardwood planks measuring 1.23 meters by 14.8 meters for the flooring. The wood planks extend from the salacuarto. to the
Quite unusual is the very different treatment of the windows facing the other street. Sliding wood-and-capiz windows have regular patterns and there is a marked absence of ventanillas.
The quarto aguas red clay roofs are the architectural highlight of the two structures. The quarto aguas roofs ingeniously terminate into dos aguas to provide air vents. The roofs over the structures beautifully merged; the red clay caballettes in the ridges and apex of both roofs enhance the distinctive nineteenth-century roof line. All around the transom, on the eaves of the tile roof of the larger structure, is a media agua of corrugated galvanized iron sheets which could have been added when the house was renovated in 1957.
The roof system, composed of quilos, or rafters interlocked at the top of the ends, attached to the palupo or ridge stabilize the roof structure. Due to heavy roofing materials, king posts were installed to hold the ridge beams which are turn braced by supplementary timbers alongside the rafters.
Originally constructed 1913 in San Fernando, Pampanga, the house was owned by the Escota family. Using exactly the same materials and design, the house was reconstructed at No. 50 Provincial Road, Barrio Hulo, Meycauayan, Bulacan in the 1950’s and was later acquired by Rogelio Urrutia who came from a prominent family in Meycauayan. This served the venue for the family gatherings.
Constructed out of adobe stone on the ground floor and wood on the upper floor in the typical “ Bahay na Bato” style, the house was generally a classic example of the passive cooling ventilation adopted throughout the entire structure. Continuous media aguas (lower eaves) are found all throughout the top of the second floor sliding windows. Ventinillas (lower windows) were also secured with decorative wooden grills. The house has exquisite Art Noveau motif made of plain G.I. sheets.
Located in the heart of Lubao, Pampanga, the house was inspired by an American period plantation house in Virginia, USA. The house was owned by the Arastia/ Vitug family who was considered an influential clan in Lubao, relatives of whom included the family of the President Diosdado Macapagal and President Gloria Arroyo.
The house has a large balcony with iron grills and large windows, while its exterior sidings utilized horizontal wood planks, typical during era.
The house has spacious living and dining areas and had three (3) bedrooms, the architectural details are relatively simple with its calado ( wooden transom cutout) as its most distinguishing architectural accent.